USD holds at highs following hot CPI & PPI data but with signs the peak may have been reached. Stocks stalled their recent declines, closing flat in the US and bouncing in Asian markets (Nikkei +2.6%), Yields climbed as risk appetite improved, Fed Chair Powell still flagged half-percentage point interest rate increases at the next two policy meetings, adding that the Fed is “prepared to do more!” and that stable prices are the “bedrock” of the economy but it will cause “some pain”. Oil continued to rally on supply concerns whilst Gold dipped to within $10 of $1800. Kuroda maintains dovish guidance even as Inflation moves higher, Russia threatens “technical retaliation” as Finland seeks NATO membership, Sweden to follow? Putin “humiliating himself on the world stage” – UK Foreign Sec. Truss.
- USDIndex rallied to within 5 ticks of 105.00 and remains at 20-year highs at 104.75 up from 103.60 last Friday.
- Equities – USA500 -5.10 (0.25%) at 3930, US500FUTS at 3955 now. COIN +8.9%, TSLA -0.82%, (Musk would not back TRUMP in 2024). APPLE -2.69%, GM -4.59%.
- Yields rallied, 10-yr closed at 2.817%, significantly below key 3.00% level. Trades up at 2.89%
- Oil & Gold both had weak & volatile sessions – USOil rallied to test $108.00 earlier today from $98.00 on Wednesday. Gold slump continued with a test of $1810 on open today from highs this week at $1885, struggles at $1822 now. No safe-haven bid.
- Bitcoin languishes at $30K now, but up from $26.5k. 6th consecutive week lower.
- FX markets – EURUSD up from 1.0355 to 1.0400, parity calls rising. USDJPY dived from 130.00, to 127.50 yesterday now back to 128.70 and Cable continues to struggle at 1.2335. AUD again outperformed in Asia.
Overnight – JPY Money Supply better than expected & French M/M CPI in-line at 0.4%.
Today – US Export/Imports Prices, UoM (Prelim.) data, Speeches from ECB’s Schnabel, de Guindos & Fed’s Kashkari.
Biggest FX Mover @ (06:30 GMT) AUDJPY (+0.74%) Rallied from lows at 87.30 yesterday as risk appetite raised it’s head to 89.00 ( and next resistance) earlier. Now back to 88.55. MAs aligning higher, MACD signal line & histogram moving higher & testing 0 line, RSI 48 & rising, H1 ATR 0.346, Daily ATR 1.67.
Click here to access our Economic Calendar
Head Market Analyst
Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in Leveraged Products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distribution.